Thursday, September 11, 2008

Graduate Early??

So I'm considering scrapping my minor, creative writing, to graduate 5-6 months earlier. Just thinking about it makes me feel the happiest I have felt in a while!! This means I'd graduate in June and Sam will graduate Dec. 2009. I've been thinking about it since this semester started and I think if I keep feeling this way; I just may! Besides, I can still write a novel w/out minoring in creative writing! although, I do enjoy the creative writing classes here. But there are several advantages to this possibility:

1) The obvious, LESS school! 15 credit hours to be exact. I'm so burnt out and have been, I just want to FINISH!
2) I could work while Sam finishes school - bringing in a LIL bit more dinero.
3) I would have more time to do the things I want to do!! (Go to the beach more (or start going again cause I'll have time to now haha), workout, take better care of our apartment more often, cook more, unfortunately I still couldn't get a dog while living in TVA otherwise this would be on the list also, actually read books I want to and not because I'm getting graded on it, WRITE-WRITE-WRITE, I've been wanting to learn the ukelele lately haha, etc. etc.).
4) Not having to pay tuition and insurance for Fall.
5) And just overall enjoy the last months living in Hawaii and life in general w/out the stress of school!

Disadvantages:
1) I'm going to be here until December anyways, so might as well stick w/ it and get a minor while I'm here.
2) Finding a decent job for just 6 months.

So I'm still going to toy around w/ the idea for the next little while and praying about it. I don't think it's really THAT big of deal, except for the graduating earlier than Sam. Unless any one has any life shattering stories/experiences dealing w/ minors - I think mine is a goner so I can graduate sooner!

5 comments:

Malia said...

Don't listen to me when it comes to school as I only have a couple semesters under my belt. Education does get you ahead but I wouldn't know much about that. As far as your excitement and all the fun plans you have for a better life... that sounds great! Good luck with your decision!

Clarke & Lia said...

Well... education is not my thing either. I'm not a fan of school, homework, etc. but I guess it depends on what you were planning to do with the minor. Whatever your plans were, could you do it anyways?
On a side note, I must say Elizabeth, that I love your taste in music. In fact, I find myself clicking onto your blog just to listen to your latest tunes.:) Keep 'em coming!
Lia

About us . . . said...

What a cool option you have before you. Money or educational interest. If I was in your shoes well... I would just go for whatever makes me happy. Personally I would leave the minor alone and be done sooner to enjoy the off time in Hawaii.

Kerri said...

don't do it, just don't do it.

Charlotte Mom said...

Your mom says, "I wish I could go back and do the whole thing again. This time I would see it threw til the end." It is terrible to get so close to the finish and then not finish when you know you can. Now is the time to take advantage, when you have no responsibility for children. When that time comes your time will be theirs.
But you will know what it the best for you and God will help you.
love ya,
mom