Just finished reading this book. Mother-in-law Linda sent it to all her 8 children several months ago.
Since I've been trying to lose weight and get in shape (23 lbs since Jan, woop!), I've really been into healthier eating. So this kind of a book was right up my alley and came along at the right time.
To sum it up, it's a book written by a scientist who conducted "The China Study" and he basically explains/proves how eating a whole foods, plant-based diet prevents and reverses chronic diseases & cancer and why there's so much confusion in the US about our health, food, how we're eating, and what's good for us.
I know there have been several recent documentaries along these same lines, several of which I have seen: Food, Inc. and Forks over Knives being two of them (along w/ the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead which I really liked).
It always kind of bugged me when someone said they were vegan or vegetarian because it just seemed like a "trendy" thing to do to me. Now, after reading this book, and seeing how I feel after eating a whole foods plant-based diet, cutting basically meat, dairy, and eggs from my diet (as much as I can, not always), I'm sold too on what I previously always viewed as "trendy diets". And I didn't think every single person who ate this way was just doing it to be trendy, just sometimes! And that sometimes was enough to bug me.
I don't know, call me an easy sale, but it just makes sense to me and I like how the food tastes and more importantly how I feel. Plus, it really goes hand in hand w/ my health/fitness goals.
Sam's been kind to me while I've started this transformation process eating things like baked spinach and pasta w/ a creamy garlic sauce, vegan pad thai (tonight's din din), vege burgers, & kale vegetable stew, vege pizza w/ hummus and salsa as the sauce (yum!) and indian spiced lentils, just to name a few.
I really enjoying cooking, so I have a lot of fun finding new recipes and trying them out.
I made these these yesterday, vegan, sugar free, carrot cake cookies - yummy!



No comments:
Post a Comment