Tonight I made my 1st homemade salsa, a black bean papaya salsa - and it is oh so delicioso! That, and the fact that the school's farm sells papaya at $0.60/lb makes it even better! I got 5 papayas for 3 bucks!!
So one of my hobbies is trying new recipes. I actually like cooking when I have the time and energy (and not in school haha). I was a lil nervous to try salsa because it seemed like such a complex thing to make, and besides all the dicing, not too shabby! The only ingredient missing was cilantro because I'm not sure if they sell it in Hawaii, I couldn't find it at Foodland at least, which is the strangest thing to coming from a place that uses a lot in Mexican dishes, esp. Salsa! But just the same, it's so scrumptious I just had to share the goods:
Black Bean Papaya Salsa
1 cup cooked or canned black beans
2 ripe papayas, peeled, seeded and diced small
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
1/2 red onion, diced small
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon minced red or green chile pepper of your choice
Salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
Preparation:In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans, papaya, bell peppers, red onion, pineapple juice, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, chile pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix together well. This salsa will keep, covered and refrigerated, 4 to 5 days.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ooooh yuuummmy, I will let you know if I get to try it!
Hey they sell cilantro at cackle fresh. A pretty big bunch for $1. Also, we just planted some in our garden this morning so anytime you need some.
Sounds delicious. I will try it.
Good luck in school.
Post a Comment